Stop Motion for Zeiss
Earlier this year I was commissioned by Zeiss to create a stop motion animation for their Milvus series of lenses. The brief for the stop motion was simple in concept. Here is the brief elements broken down.
- 30 seconds in length
- Show all lenses, accessories and case on white
- Show all lenses and accessories going into the case
- Show that the case is rain and water proof
- Show that the case is impact and fall proof
- Show the lenses and elements coming out of the case unharmed.
This was the initial brief that Zeiss wanted, and I loved it! I sat down, mapped things out, worked on timings and sent them through my thoughts. They loved it, and off I went to create it.
Below is the finished stop motion for Zeiss. After that I will talk about some of the work that went into creating this stop motion.
The Stop Motion:
Creating the Stop Motion:
There was a lot of planning needed to create this stop motion. I had to stick with a 30 second time limit, but also fit in a lot of scenes and elements. The impact proof part of the brief was the simple part for me. The rain and water proof was a little more complicated. In order to create this in stop motion, it was going to require a lot of work and a lot of time. I spent around 8 hours drawing and cutting out a variety of rain drops, in a variety of shades of blue. Even though we wanted the stop motion to have a slightly cartoonish look to it, I wanted that cartoon quality to be a little accurate. Different sizes, shapes, and shades of blue as well as various cutouts of what rain looks like when it strikes a surface. All were planned and cut out. I did the same for the clouds that the rain would fall from. Different shades of grey as well as different shapes and sizes of cloud.
The water covering the case was a little more complicated. I needed to show that the water covered the case, without it just looking like a I covered the case with card. What I wound up doing was cutting out two large wave shapes in two different shades of blue. The darker would go behind the case and the lighter on top. In order for this to work, I built a small wooden frame and mounted the lighter blue card to it. When it came time, I simply slid this frame over the case, and slid the dark blue behind it. This gave depth and gave the impression that the case was submerged in water.
After that, it was easy!
This was the most involved and complicated stop motion I have made thus far. Besides the time spent planning and preparing, the actual shooting was very involved with the rain. Moving dozens of tiny rain drops a small amount for 100+ shots was intense… especially maintaining all of the rain falling in a straight line. 😀